It’s an exciting time to be in our IT department; we’re investing heavily in the future of our firm’s technology. Our business is growing internationally, which emphasizes the need to build an unparalleled technology team that drives future global growth and scale through strategic solutions and continuous innovation. We play a foundational role in supporting our firm’s diverse businesses, and we’re excited to continue solidifying that foundation as we add more talented technologists to our team.
Our IT Department is now seeking a VP of Enterprise Data. This position will be located in our San Mateo (near San Francisco, CA), CA, office or our Camas, WA, office (near Portland, OR).
The VP of Enterprise Data, reports to the EVP of Technology, and is responsible for building and managing a highly-skilled, analytical organization to deliver data solutions and capabilities for the enterprise. This executive is responsible for strategies that deliver compliant data and information solutions leading to improvement and optimization in business performance and risk minimization. There are three main teams – Data Management, Data Delivery, and Data Operations.
In addition, this individual is responsible for the technical vision and roadmap that defines the firm’s strategic data capability. This person will create strong relationships with the other Technology leaders who are responsible for the applications that generate and consume the data. This senior technology leader will also be responsible for ensuring alignment of the data strategy with the enterprise IT and business strategy. This candidate also plays a pivotal role in ensuring the accuracy of enterprise reporting and analytics by overseeing day-to-day management of data dissemination across all systems.
In addition to managing daily operations concerning data, in conjunction with the Data Privacy Officer and VP of Information Security, this candidate will also be responsible for establishing standards and policies across the firm to ensure that data quality isn’t impacted when systems are introduced into the technology architecture. The role requires extensive collaboration with the Head of Technology Business Services to ensure data quality standards are met in all projects, resolving issues when escalated. The candidate must have strong communication and leadership skills, as well as executive presence. In time there will be a team to resource and manage so the ability to motivate and inspire confidence is also key to this position.
- Drives enterprise data strategy and collaborates with Technology leaders across strategy, business services, Information Security, Compliance, and infrastructure and operations to provide holistic data solutions for the enterprise
- Establishes, maintains and operates a data integration strategy to effectively disseminate information across the internal application infrastructure and the external foreign data providers.
- Manages the conceptualization, design, development and ongoing operations of an enterprise data environment (sourcing, staging operational data platforms, warehouses and information delivery/analytics environments) that provides consistent enterprise-wide reporting and allows for efficient dissemination of data across business units
- Manages the reporting and analytics capabilities of the Technology organization
- In consultation with the Data Management Steering Committee and the Data Management Council, this individual will be responsible for establishing the enterprise data strategy, associated standards, and customizations to specific business needs and objectives
- Establishes and manages an enterprise data taxonomy and catalog
- Identifies, selects and implements tools and processes to support data governance, metadata management, data discovery and data lineage
- Oversees the deployment of Data Quality standards across the enterprise
- Acts as primary decision body for enterprise data management initiatives and priorities and monitors the adherence to enterprise data management standards
- Oversees the management of platforms needed to discover, govern and audit data
- Builds teams and recruits staff to maintain and grow data team
- Evangelizes and trains the business regarding the importance of data governance and data management
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, business, or equivalent (MBA and/or Master’s degree in information systems or related technical field is preferred)
- 15+ years’ experience as Database Administrator, Enterprise Data Architect, Data Scientist, or similar at a medium to large company. At least 5+ years’ experience managing a 30+ person data team.
- Demonstrated experience with one of the following frameworks: Cobit 5, ISO 8000, Sarbanes-Oxley, GDPR, Mifid II. Additional demonstrated experience with International data issues is a significant plus.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze and use data systematically. Has ability to build and develop mathematical and statistical models. Demonstrates ability to interpret and translate complex statistics and numeric data. Demonstrates in depth knowledge of statistical and econometrics principles
- Demonstrated ability to establish a physical data platform used by IT, and an externally facing data platform for use by the business as a source for small-scale applications, business services and ad-hoc queries.
- Demonstrates understanding of monitoring and controlling data, including as it relates to Privacy. Demonstrates awareness of the practices needed to collect, handle, and protect the organization’s data from compromise, corruption and loss.
- Demonstrates ability to leverage emerging digital tools to enable business performance. Has ability to rely on real-time data and analytics to make business decisions and deliver key enterprise solutions including member contact insights and an analytics hub that offers discoverable insights from across the enterprise
- Applies analytical skills to expand existing markets, identify future opportunities, maintain purview of organization’s needs, and build the necessary infrastructure that enables business success
- Inspires a compelling vision and strategy for data and analytics and fosters a culture of risk awareness and accountability
- Proven internal and external influencing skills at senior and executive management levels
- Maintains focus, and persistence, even under adversity, while maintaining the confidence of key stakeholders
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate with impact to audiences of senior executives and regulators and to convey complex IT operations issues and their implications on the organization
- Exceptional ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
- Has assessed potential implications of re-engineering for multiple functions or departments
- Ability to quickly learn and understand the business of Fisher Investments
Why Fisher Investments?
Fisher Investments is a different kind of investment firm. We don’t come from Wall Street, nor do we believe we fit in with most of the finance industry, and we’re proud of that. We work for a bigger purpose: bettering the investment universe. From unmatched service to innovative perspectives on investing, it’s the people that make the Fisher purpose possible. After all, it’s our people that enable us to offer the level of service that we do. And we invest in them accordingly, offering exceptional benefits (upon conversion to permanent hire) like:
- 100% coverage of premiums for health, vision and dental insurance
- 50% 401(k) match - up to the IRS maximum
- 20 days of PTO* (plus 9 paid holidays)
- Open and supportive team-based environment
- 8 week paid Primary Caregiver Parental Leave
- And much, much more
We also provide a cumulative, continuous learning and development framework customized for every employee. This emphasis on personal and professional growth has yielded an award-winning work environment; we’re Great Place to Work Certified, and The Oregonian named us as a Top Workplace.
But in the end, it’s not the perks that keep people here. They stay because they believe in our mission of service—our employees want to make a difference in an industry that can do better.
*California employees accrue up to 17 days of PTO and 3 days of sick time per year.
Thank you for your interest in our firm. We look forward to hearing from you!
FISHER INVESTMENTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER